1-37 Armor is arguably the most famous tank battalion in the history of United States Armor. From 1941-2011, the unit fought admirably and bravely in multiple wars and deterred Soviet aggression for more 30 years during the Cold War. The unit has won multiple awards for bravery & valor in combat.
Unit Decorations from WWII
- Streamer, Distinguished Unit Citation Embroidered Ardennes
- Streamer, French Croix de Guerre with Palm (WWII) embroidered Normandy
- Streamer, French Croix De Guerre with Pam (WWII) Moselle River
- Fourragerre, French De Guerre (WWII)
Unit Decorations during Desert Storm
- During the Defense of Saudi Arabia, Liberation of Kuwait, and Ceasefire campaigns earned it a Valorous Unit Award.
Unit Decorations during Operation Iraqi Freedom
- Battalion earned its second Presidential Unit Citation. .
- Battalion earns the Naval Unit Commendation for heroism during combat.
Current Unit (Fort Bliss)
The current unit at Fort Bliss, TX was re-activated June 2015. It consists of 2 armor and 1 infantry companies fielding the M1A2 Abrams Tank and M2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle.